Saturday, August 05, 2006

I am a mom!

For Father's Day this year, Abby Kate and Joshua gave their daddy tickets to a Cardinals game. This past Wednesday, Jason and I saw the St. Louis, Cardinals play the Philadelphia, Phillies. We had so much fun! (I only wish that the Cardinals would win a game). The kids stayed at their PawPaw and Nana's house. Jason and I always enjoy our time as a couple. I love and treasure our family time, but we desperately try to carve out time for the two of us.

While riding in the van somewhere between Illinois and Kentucky, Jason asked me an interesting question. He asked, "If you could choose any other profession or any other job, what would it be?" On road trips, we will ask each other questions like this all the time just to find out a little bit more about each other. After 11 years (I'm including the dating years here) there's not much about each other that we don't know. In case you do not know, I graduated from Lipscomb with an education degree. I taught 3rd grade before I had my two little ones. I loved teaching and I still do (I teach everyday)! I told Jason that if I could be anything, I would love to be a nurse. However, I absolutely hate needles! I am the worst stick. At the outpatient center that I frequent every 8 weeks, I am known as the woman with twins and bad veins. I would love nothing more than to care for others. Ever since our children were in the NICU, I have had such an appreciation for the NICU nurses. They are there not only for the babies, but also for the parents. I would love to be able to repay them for all that they did for us. If I could be a nurse, I would like to either work in the NICU (I feel that this would be incredibly difficult) or to be a labor and delivery nurse. I would also like to be a pharmacist. I don't know why, but it has always seemed interesting.

I have one other profession that I have always fantasized about - a hotel receptionist! This is by far the most random. I have no idea why the thought of this sounds all that appealing. For some reason, I have always thought about doing this. I might just have to go and apply right now!

The "profession" that I love more than any other, is being a stay at home mom. This "job" pays no money, but the benefits are incredible. I guess that you could say that I master all of the professions on a daily basis. I am a nurse, a pharmacist, a referee, a chef, a chauffeur, a coach, a teacher, an accountant, and a maid... I am also a comforter, a nurturer, and a listener. I AM A MOM!


If you could have any job or profession, what would it be?

10 comments:

Jamey said...

I've always wanted to be a veteranarian, or an animal tamer.

Jason said...

You'd be great at anything that allows you to work with people. Something with a little bit of a business feel to it, coupled with a significant "people" element. I think you missed your calling with the hotel receptionist thing. But hey, it's never too late. Reach for those stars, honey!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

Good for you! yes, the benefits are great...but if I could do anything else...I would either own my own store/gallery (taking the steps to get there) or be a rock star. yep. thats right. cept I wouldnt sell my soul to the devil..so I guess that means I would never make it to the big leagues..but really a mom makes me the happiest. (and the gallery store thing is kinda exciting)

Anonymous said...

I'd be a television news meterologist...too bad I can't get a grasp of science!

I look forward to being a stay-at-home mom so much! When I was interviewing for jobs, they'd always ask what my 5/10 yr goals were...I always wanted to say a wife and a mother and an active member in my church..but that wouldn't have been the "professional" answer. I'm enjoying my job for right now though...I have a feeling being "just" a mom will be 1000x more challenging than anything in this "career world". You mothers are incredible...

Anonymous said...

PS...that was from Lucy P.

Jason said...

Lucy said, "You mothers are incredible."

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

And I'm glad to know you lied on your job interviews. You must've had a great youth minister....

Anonymous said...

I do what it takes to get ahead...
yeah, I'd give my youth minister credit for that...

Lucy P.

Jason said...

The end always justifies the means. Amen, amen!

Anonymous said...

Wow, don't let the readers on your blog see that...

Lucy P.

jenna said...

my dream job: hmm... you know.. that is a good question. I honestly don't know. I can think of several. It will definitely have to involve people. Director of hospitality.. something like that keeps popping in my head.. I don't even know if that is a job that exists. Youth minister is another one. If anyone wants to throw out some suggestions for me, I am at the point were some answers to these type questions would be nice.