Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summer Lovin' of' '09

Well, for the first time in about 2 years, my blog is definitely not feeling the love from me. This summer has been a blast and has been filled with so many fun and memorable times. But, there have been other "loves" for this month of July...

Jason and I found out at the beginning of last summer the importance of buying a new bottle of sunscreen each year. This year, we made our sunscreen run to Target in search of the perfect bottle. If you know me at all, you know that I have very sensitive and very WHITE skin. I always joke and say that I have two colors, white and red. I have never tanned and I probably never will. For years, I always bought the highest SPF and stayed my bright white color all summer long. I would always lather on my sunscreen and if I waited too long to reapply, I would burn. A few years ago, I decided to use a tanning sunscreen with a lower SPF. I don't know why, but I have not gotten burned since I made this switch. For a little added bonus, I have actually gone a tad shade darker than my bright white. I am always so proud of my "tan"; that is until I hold my arm up to Jason's. He gets so dark and I just have to pretend that I am really tanned too. At least Abby Kate and Jackson got Jason's skin tone; poor Joshua is just like me. Now that I've bragged about this sunscreen, watch me get burnt!


Another love of this summer has been listening to "our" songs with the kids in the car. They love it when I crank up the volume and we all sing along and do a little dance in our seats. I'm sure that we have gotten a lot of stares and probably some laughs out of everyone watching us as we drive down the road. Sometimes you just have to have a little fun and not take yourself too seriously.


I recently bought the pink bottle of Johnson's baby wash for bath time. I have always used the yellow all in one bottle of Johnson's, but the pink bottle was really calling out to me in the store. This is also the bottle of baby wash that Jackson decided to dump out all over the floor in our bathroom once we got it home. I LOVE this baby wash and I love bathing the kids with it. I have even been found lathering up lotion on all 3 of my kiddos after bath time (even though 2 of them are now 5 - just don't tell their friends). I know that in a few short years bath time will not be the same (sniff). Anyways, I really love this baby wash and will probably keep buying it until my kids realize that they are using baby soap.




I've loved pulling my hair back and having lots and lots of ponytail days. I am hoping to get my hair cut sometime soon, but I am definitely not ready to lose the convenience of the ponytail. Also, my hair has really started to get more and more wavy. I've always had a little bit of a wave, but my stylist told me that the older that I get, the wavier it will become. Because my hair is a little bit longer and the wave is definitely harder to fight, I have really found the best style right now is a ponytail. The good thing about my hair going wavy is that I don't have to do a thing to it. I just wash, comb, and go.


Joshua and Abby Kate have really taken off with trying to learn to swim. We have spent a lot of time up at my parent's house and they are always so good at teaching the two of them to swim. This year, my parents bought the kids these "Safe T. Seal" swim aids. They are really great and the kids have so much confidence without the bulkiness. I am so impressed with the both of them.





This summer we decided to take part in our 2nd summer of the Reading Program at church. I have really treasured our times of curling up on the couch and reading with the kids. This year, we have really been able to talk about the stories and feelings of the characters. We have also learned more about the men and women in the Bible. I have loved sharing Bible stories with the kids and loved discussing the "lessons" that we should take away with us. I think that some of the kid's favorites have been the story of Joseph, Jonah, and Moses.


I haven't really had the time to read a book this summer (in fact I think that the last time I actually read a book was on our cruise last year). I have been able to pick up "The Five Love Languages of Children" at different times throughout the summer. I have really enjoyed reading it and it has made me more aware of the different ways in which our children want our love to be shown to them. I am still working my way through it, but I have really enjoyed learning what I have so far.





These are just a few of the things that I have been lovin' in the summer of '09. I am afraid that our summer is coming to a very quick end. I have loved every moment of it and have so many wonderful memories of the times that we have spent together.


What's your summer love of '09?

4 comments:

Elyse said...

So what if the twins are using the pink bottle of J&J baby wash?!

*I use the yellow one (baby wash) due to my allergies...shhh!
*PEACHES! Right now, they are so yummy!
*Berry Propel packets into a water bottle. YUMMY!
* TAN-ness! I burn and then tan but am just fine with that!
~Elyse

eatmoresmores said...

Thanks for the tip about the pink Johnsons baby wash. We are just about out of the yellow bottle and its on my list to get more. I'll try the pink this time.

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

I didn't know that there was a "Five Love Languages for Kids". I'll have to read that one sometime...after I work my way through my big pile stacked up by my bed. One day we will have time to read again, right? :) I'm glad ya'll have had a good summer!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

OOOO I think I need to try that book! I am with you on the white and red...and I love the baby wash! I slather my kiddies in the lotion