Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Unwanted

As I was waiting in the office of my doctor's office this morning, I overheard a father telling another patient about his teenage daughter. This young girl was unfortunately referred to Dr. Bailey because she had an ultrasound that yielded a spine that was open. Dr. Bailey is a high risk speciality doctor and would offer the kind of technology that she would need in determining how severe her baby's condition was. My heart sank when I heard what this family was going through. This girl is 6 months pregnant with a boy. She apparently got pregnant with her boyfriend and the family talked very openly about being in the WIC program along with Medicare, Medicade and on food stamps. This family was very concerned about the baby and the development of his spine.

I almost could not believe what came out of this young girl's father's mouth! He (speaking to some random stranger in the waiting room) said that he was anxious to know how bad this baby's condition was. He then said, "I would hate for her to have to ABORT."

WHAT????

Sure, I 've heard about people aborting their unborn child, but I have never been in a situation that was so real. My heart sank! I wanted to cry and throw up at the same time. She has a baby in her belly that is alive! How could she do something like this? On Friday, I will be 6 months pregnant, just like this teenage girl. I have heard our baby's heartbeat about 5 times and I feel this baby move all the time! How could someone want to take away that life?

I pray that God would bless this precious little child...

5 comments:

Jamey said...

Imagine all of the people who long for a baby. Then there are those who are willing to "throw them away."

That's really aweful.

Anonymous said...

That brings tears to my eyes. I wish I could take in all of those unwanted children. It boggles my mind that life can be seen as unvaluable. I'll pray for this girl to choose to keep her precious son.

mom23 said...

That is so disturbing and sad.

laura said...

This also breaks my heart. As a nurse I can tell you that we could choose to not be a part of these cases. Thank goodness I was never put in that position as they knew it would have been a flat out no way. I know we need to pray for all of the unborn children.

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

wow. I like to pretend in my head that stuff like that doesn't really happen. but its such a devistating reality. they should publish pics more of aborted children, and then see how the general public feels about it. gah.