Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Beach Getaway for Momma = Pleurisy for Daddy

A couple of weeks ago, I headed down to the sandy beaches of Seagrove, Florida. About 16 girls from our Sunday School class retreated to the beach. We all had so much fun together. The weather was perfect, the food was delicious and there were lots of laughs. One of the best things about getting away for the long weekend was that I left the kids at home with daddy! Jason kept the kids for all 4 days (by himself)! The only other time that I have left the kids over night with Jason is for our Ladies Retreat each year. He is such an amazing father and encouraged me to go and have a great time. Jason, Joshua and Abby Kate had so much fun together. Many of you kept up with his Mommy MIA blogs. The blogs and comments have made me laugh so hard! Jason really sacrificed so that I could get away for a little while. I did not realize that I needed a break so badly!

A few days before I left, our air conditioning unit died! I had several companies out to give their estimates all week long. We needed to get a unit in quickly, but that would require a great deal of money (which we don't have just laying around - its not really in our budget). One night while I was at the beach, the temperature outside dropped down to the 40's. Jason woke up the next morning with all kinds of cold symptoms. We treated his symptoms with a lot of OTC drugs. His cold went away after a few days of my return.

Yesterday, Jason called me on my way back from the zoo to let me know that his chest was hurting him. He was up in Nashville at Lipscomb for his grad class that evening. This was really alarming to me given Jason's heart condition. I suggested (after several opinions) that Jason take some antacids. The antacids did not help, so we were able to rule out heartburn. When Jason got home around 9pm, he was really hurting. We ended up going to the ER and he was released after 3 hours and a battery of tests.

This afternoon, Jason and I followed up with his cardiologist. After 3 hours and more tests, the diagnosis is in. Jason has pleurisy!!! We have traced it all the way back to his cold from my trip to the beach.

Mommy MIA led to a very sick Daddy!

4 comments:

Jason said...

If I'd known I'd still be paying for your beach trip, I wouldn't have agreed to keep the kids! :)

Thanks for taking care of me. I just hope you don't get too worn down having to take care of 3 kids here at the house!!

Sunny said...

I think that the beach trip is going to be an annual thing!

Jamey said...

Maybe even twice a year! Or, beach trip in the summer; ski trip in the winter!

Jason said...

If you go to the beach multiple times a year, I'll need to increase my medical insurance coverage!