Monday, October 16, 2006

No Tears!

I have always hated cutting Abby Kate and Joshua's fingernails. When Abby Kate and Joshua were tiny babies, I would always try and cut their fingernails when they were asleep. Unfortunately, I did miss a time or two and feared that I would do the same each time I cut a fingernail. One night after Jason and I got in from church, I tried cutting Abby Kate's fingernail and missed. I started crying and told Jason that the job was now officially his. Well...that lasted two fingernails! He also missed and got a tiny piece of Abby Kate's thumb. That night was the first and last time that Jason cut the kids' fingernails.

To this day, I do not like to cut my kids' fingernails. I still break out into a sweat and get really worried about missing the nail. I usually try to keep the kids' fingernails (20 nails per trim) trimmed once every week. We go a little longer for the toenails (they don't seem to grow as quickly, but when they do, its like - boom - long toenails). Joshua is usually a bit more patient with me when I cut his fingernails. He will occassionally cry and rattle my nerves. Abby Kate is a totally different story. She always pitches the biggest fit. I have tried everything to keep her calm and quiet. Nothing ever works (the cut while they are sleeping doesn't work nowadays). When Abby Kate starts screaming she gets really mad at me and does not want me to finish. She has cried each and every time that I have gone in to tackle her fingernails. That is...until today!!!!

Abby Kate did not scream, kick, claw, get mad or cry when I cut her fingernails today! Not one tear!!!

6 comments:

Jason said...

Wow! No tears! She's getting to be such a big girl. That makes me sad. But you can't keep 'em from growing up, I guess.

I'm glad you reclaimed the job of cutting their fingernails. I can't handle a job that's so tedious.

jenna said...

man, just wait till it gets time to pull teeth... I used to scream and wrestle my parents to the ground when they would try to pull my teeth... and that was at the age of 11... okay, exaggerating... 9... and 1/2. :) hehe (j/k, I honestly think I was 7)

wow. that was encouraging, huh? :)

Sunny said...

Jenna, I can not imagine pulling teeth! There are so many tears in just trying to get their teeth in!

Jamey said...

The only time Avery doesn't scream when I cut her nails is when she's sitting in Kenny's lap while I'm doing it. I think he wonders why I always wait for him to be home before tackling that project.

Yeah Abby Kate!! What a big girl!

jenna said...

Sorry to mention the teeth thing Sunny. Maybe Joshua and Abby Kate won't have a problem with the teeth. A lot of kids don't. I was just a pansy... I bet J & AK will be champions at getting their teeth pulled!! :)

(And if all else fails, just let them fall out on their own. I was good as long as there wasn't too much blood... I really was such a pansy...)

Kenny Simpson said...

Why does she not cry on my lap?