Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gardening Growth

This year Jason and I decided to start a SMALL vegetable garden. I have been wanting to do this for some time now and we finally have the time to devote ourselves to a garden. This year we planted cherry tomatoes, "regular" tomatoes, green beans, okra, cucumber, strawberries, and watermelon. We have mint, rosemary and parsley already growing in our flower beds. We are still hoping to add some flowers to our beds soon. We have all enjoyed watching our little seeds and small plants grow and we will hopefully enjoy some fresh vegetables soon.

Roses
Roses are one of my favorite flowers. I think that they are so pretty. We have about 7 rose bushes around our house.


Roses
This is a rose bush that we have around the side of our house. This rose bush has gotten so big over the years.


Roses
A close up shot


Rose bush
This rose bush was about half the height that it is now at the start of Spring. It has really taken off.


Strawberries
Jason and I transplanted our strawberry plant at the beginning of Spring. It has done really well in its new home. The other day I had a lot of berries on it that were almost ready to pick. Apparently the birds decided to pick them for me.


Green beans
Jason and I quickly realized that we need to enlarge our vegetable bed after planting several seeds. Since this is our first year of gardening, we only planted a few seeds to see how they (and we) will do. I am also the only in the family that will eat green beans, so I guess that I will be freezing what I can't eat this summer.


Okra
I've never really made okra, but I love it. I wanted to try my hand at growing okra this year. I am also the only one that will eat okra.


Cucumbers
Its not summer unless you eat cucumbers. Cucumbers are my favorite!


Jackson
I just found this picture too cute.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for gardening!!!

Ashleigh

Jamey said...

I've been thinking about starting a very small garden. I think I'm going to wait until I have more time to devote. Let us know how it goes! Strawberries sound yummy!

chesley said...

so jealous that you have so much planted! i planted 2 tomato plants this year for the very 1st time. i'm excited to see what happens with them. it's a fun thing to watch grow with grant. your rose bushes are beautiful too.

Stacy said...

I want a garden so badly but not one spot in our yard gets enough sun...darn pine trees!!

Was gonna tell you...a friend taught me that if you put several realistic good-sized plastic snakes in and around your garden the birds and bunnies will stay away from your harvest... I've not tried it, but thought of you when she told me. Might be worth a try if you want to eat any of your berries! :)

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

look at you! Im muy impressed. gawgeous!